Green Way Organization (GWO) is a non-partisan, non-political, and non-profit NGO that delivers humanitarian services to empower Afghanistan's poor communities. It has been involved in this intervention since the year 2003 and has benefited thousands of poor HHs in different sectors. The organization is committed to bring “change” and by this, organization will continue to its involvement.
The Livelihoods and Food Security Manager will help Green Way Organization in Afghanistan design and implement livelihoods and food security programmes throughout the south and West Afghanistan, under the country office’s recently-established Livelihoods and Food Security Core Competency. The Livelihoods and Food Security Manager will work under the Livelihoods and Food Security Specialist in Kabul. He/ she will work closely with Livelihoods and Food Security staff in the field offices, as well as with GWO's other units (in particular Education and Shelter). As the Livelihoods and Food Security Core Competency was only recently established in Afghanistan, the Manager will play a critical role in helping design and implement new livelihoods and food security projects – and in documenting lessons learnt from these initial projects to shape the country office’s livelihoods and food security strategy moving forward. Livelihoods programmes support GWO’s broader strategy to promote durable solutions to displacement –beyond short-term emergency assistance – and to prevent further displacement. These programmes seek to enable vulnerable displaced people (returnees from Iran or Pakistan, as well as people internally displaced by conflict) to find jobs or start their own businesses, so they can support their families. Food security programmes aim to ensure that displaced people able to meet their essential food needs – in terms of quality, diversity and quantity – both in times of emergency and in situations of protracted displacement.
- Provide technical assistance for Livelihoods and Food Security project field staff
- Contribute to Livelihoods and Food Security strategy development, project proposals and provide input on needs and gaps
- Assist management and/or implementation of delegated portfolio of Livelihoods and Food Security projects (activities, budget and project documentation) as delegated from Food Security Specialist in line with proposals, strategies and donor requirements, and ensure high technical quality
- Provide regular progress reports to Food Security Specialist
- Ensure that programs target beneficiaries most in need of protection, explore and build new and better ways of helping
- Promote and share ideas for progress and improvements in the activities needed
- Ensure capacity building of project personnel and key skills transfer
- Liaise and collaborate with local authorities and other relevant stakeholders
- In line with the advocacy strategy, promote the rights of IDPs / returnees
- Project implementation: support to field staff and monitoring of projects
- Support field offices in the design and implementation of livelihoods and food security activities, including in regards to beneficiary targeting, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Provide day-to-day support to field staff involved in the implementation of livelihoods and food security activities, including by: helping troubleshoot problems related to programme implementation, liaising on their behalf with support units in Kabul (HR, finance, logistics), and providing them with information on policies and programmes.
- Working closely with field staff, identify any issues in project implementation or M&E at the field level, and report them to the Livelihoods and Food Security Specialist in Kabul.
- Working closely with field staff, maintain clear and up to date records of GWO’s livelihoods and food security projects throughout the country – including locations, beneficiary numbers, activity progress, donor deadlines, and expenditure tracking. Working closely with the M&E unit, help design and implement the M&E framework for livelihoods and food security projects – including by helping design household questionnaires and analyzing and reporting M&E data.
- Bachelor Degree in agriculture, food security, economics, business administration, entrepreneurship or related field.
- 3 to 5 years experience working in the private sector in small-business development (setting up or running small businesses), or in livelihoods development programmes for NGOs/ UN/ the government.
- Good written and spoken English and Dari. Good spoken Pashto.
- Strong computer skills (proficiency in Microsoft Office and Microsoft Excel is mandatory)
- Willingness to travel (up to 20% of time) to field offices and project sites – including but not limited to cities and field locations in Herat, Ghowr, Helmand, and Kandahar.
- Creativity, curiosity and willingness to try new things and to challenge the status quo
- A positive mindset and mutual desire to work as a team
- Experience working with vulnerable communities and people (displaced people, women, youth).
- Good Knowledge of Afghan Culture
- Fluent in English, Dari and Pashto
How to Apply:
Please send your CV & Covering letter to below email address and include the city you are applying for (Kandahar or Herat) in the subject line of the application. Without a clear subject-line we won't accept the Applications Only Qualified individuals will be Shortlisted for the Interview.